Looking for the best tower climbing boots? Timberland PRO Men’s 52562 Endurance 6″ PR Work Boot is the best in the market. For other options that you may have, read this guide.
Climbing telephone poles and steel communication towers is a tough and dangerous job. It goes without saying that you will need the best in market types of equipment and the best tower climbing boots that are dependable and strong.
A secure footing is one of the essentials for staying safe at a lineman’s job.
Even during a regular day job, we overlook feet unless we experience feet pain at the end of the day. Now imagine if your life depends on the boots you wear. That might get you thinking about how to choose the best tower climbing boots when there are tons of options available in the market.
- 1 In a Hurry? Choose the Best…
- 2 Best Tower Climbing Boots – In a Glance
- 3 5 Best Tower Climbing Boots Reviews
- 4 Best Tower Climbing Boots Buying Guide
- 5 Best Tower Climbing Boots – Frequently Asked Questions
- 6 Over to You
In a Hurry? Choose the Best…
The best tower climbing boots, in my opinion, will be Timberland PRO Men’s 52562 Endurance 6” PR Work Boot as it ticks all the requirements a lineman would have.
It is water-resistant and comes with a puncture protection outsole for under feet protection. With a 30-days comfortable guarantee, Timberland has an upper hand over others.
Best Tower Climbing Boots – In a Glance
5 Best Tower Climbing Boots Reviews
Danner hiking boots comes with superior grip support on wet and dry surfaces with excellent outsoles. It comes with waterproof suede lining and durable full-grain leather. I find these shoes to be most comfortable as they have good midsole support and fit my foot perfectly.
Danner provides the boots in many color options like Hazelwood, Brown, Gray, Walnut, Sandy Taupe.
These boots are lightweight, deliver greater comfort and flexibility. It helps you distribute the body weight evenly and cushioning the heels and soles of the feet. The rubber technology used in the shoe works best to get a good grip while climbing.
Most lineman loves this shoe for its excellent traction which is very important for their job. The tongue of the shoe is attached to the outer portion so nothing slips inside making it the best rated waterproof boots for tower climbing.
Just after a casual day of work, they smell feet. It might have been a good idea if Danner can provide some anti-microbial lining too.
- Waterproof and superior grip
- Flexible traction that gives freedom of movement
- Sneakers like feel and lightweight
- The outer lining is suede so you will need to clean them from time to time
- The boots smell after a day’s work
Timberland PRO is specially designed for those who need to climb the towers and spend long hours working on feet. It comes it advanced anti-fatigue technology that delivers maximum support, provides stability and grip for all surfaces.
This is an insulated work boot. It successfully protects your feet from electrical hazard and steel toe protects your feet from other possible hazards during the climb. The rubber cap on toes prevents steel toe from being exposed.
This is one of the best tower climbing boots in the markets as it provides an additional feature of the puncture-resistant plate for underfoot protection.
The only downside to this show is often the soles of the footwear get detached from the inside of the shoe and makes stepping sounds whenever I walk.
It has got that rugged look with the leather feel and is durable for months. Timberland PRO absorbs shock and returns energy to foot delivering greater strength.
It comes it a 30-day comfort guarantee where the company will provide full-refund if of the purchase in the first 30 days if product not found satisfactory – no questions asked.
- Most comfortable
- Puncture-resistant steel plate to protect the under feet
- Electrical hazard proof
- Nice arch support and traction movement
- Little heavier than other boots in the same category
- Water sips inside from near the tongue of the shoes
- The soles separate from the inside of the shoes and make noise while stepping
The name speaks for itself as they provide a combo package of comfort and the best features of the tower climbing boots. It helps prevents injuries due to moving objects. Steel toe caps present in this shoe will protect you from any impact and keep you safe.
It can easily be the best tower climbing boots as it comes with slip resistant soles that offer great grip even on work surfaces that are very slippery. The hard outer sole will protect your feet from any potential electrical hazard and can withstand 18,000 Volts shock.
That does not mean that it lacks comfort. The multilayer outsole and inner linings offer maximum shank support for the feet. Injection assembled sole present in this shoe allows great traction and freedom of movement for feet.
It comes with an extra steel protection layer to help your feet distribute weight evenly making you feel stable. It will give you a high-end sneaker feel.
The only downside is the it can wear off easily after extended use and you might have to use super glue on that. The lace end of the shoes starts to rust after a while.
- Electrical hazard safe and provides good traction
- Comes with oil and slip-resistant outsoles
- High-end sneaker feels and provides good support of the arch of the feet.
- Wears off very easily.
- Looks great but does not stand the test of the time.
- Uncomfortable around toe
Carhartt commits to provides foam cushion for extra support and reduces foot fatigue. Rugged outsole is cement constructed and comes with an anti-microbial lining to absorb sweat and eradicate feet odor.
You will need to invest in some softer inner soles for more comfort. The inner soles that come with the shoes are a little thin and hard and wear off quickly. The grip of the shoes is excellent and works fine on dusty sites. The only downside of these shoes is that it is not waterproof which is very important for tower climbing.
The leather look is nice and ankle support is moderate. I would not call it strong. You will need to buy two pairs to check which one fits you better.
If you are tall with long feet, you will need to look somewhere else. The toes will be feel clubbed up and not extra space to move your feet.
The looks of the boots are nice and can bag you some compliments however the laces need an upgrade. They do not hold up the feet inside when you laced them up.
- Wide enough and excellent shank support
- Anti-microbial lining
- Advanced foot fatigue technology
- The grip of the shoes is the best part as it can easily work on dusty sites
- Not water resistant
- Ankle support is moderate and not great
- You will need to get water proofing treatment.
- You will need to try many pairs before selecting the right one.
The only shoe in this category that comes with full-foot flex grooves for better mobility and flexibility. It comes with a memory foam massage footbed that takes shape of the foot and delivers maximum support. It is a lightweight design with a synthetic sole.
Each shoe will weight approx. 350 grams and comes with rubber pads to improve traction at the heel strike. Reebok shoes are flexible, comfortable, and fit for demanding jobs, designed after consulting hard-working professionals and athletes.
Reebok shoes will not slip over oily surfaces. It has an alloy toe feature to protect your toes from any possible hazards and injuries. The outer lining is breathable and your feet won’t stick or develop fungus. The downside to this shoe is the lack of anti-fatigue technology.
The feet tend to get tired after a few hours of works and the bottom of the shoes hurts. The arch support for the feet is excellent and your feet will eventually adjust to the design. I would, however, invest in quality gel insoles.
Reebok is a famous brand worldwide so you need to be very careful while buying them as a lot of identical but cheap sub-standard quality shoes are sold all over the market.
- Lightweight and breathable
- Insoles are thin but do not wear off quickly
- Excellent grip on oily surfaces and protects the toe from hazards
- Does not comes with anti-fatigue technology
- Not a great fit for people with wide feet
- Toe box sticks out after few rugged uses
Best Tower Climbing Boots Buying Guide
How these special boots help a lineman?
A normal day in a lineman’s job includes climbing high towers, utility poles with high voltage lines that can sometimes be overheated. Some towers are as high as 100 feet tall and they also need to carry their pieces of equipment up while they climb.
They must pick the best tower climbing boots to protect their feet, provide support, and have solid heels to prevent slips. The lineman needs the most sturdy boots to held the footing secure and it is strong enough to lock and hold their feet in position all the time.
It is easier to miss out on the weather when considering purchasing boots for tower climbing. Not for a lineman. Boots for climbing the towers should be waterproof with an outsole that can handle the harshest of the weather outside even if it is downpour snow, rains, or hot summers.
What does lineman look for in the tower climbing shoes?
- Weather protection– Lineman cannot afford to have water run down their feet and entering their shoes to make it slippery for the climb. Even if it is snowing outside, the shoes must protect the feet from numbing and keep the work going.
- The boots should be durable – You must keep in mind that shoes are of great quality, rugged, at least ensure a lifespan of a few months before investing in them.
- Comfort and insole support – The best tower climbing boots need strong, wider, and supportive soles as lineman have to spend a great deal of their work climbing, standing on rungs and pegs for longer periods. The shoes must be comfortable and reduce foot fatigue.
- Outsole Protection – There are greater risks to a lineman’s job than slipping or falling from the tower. When you are climbing a tower, it is common to stub your toe against it. This should not be a concern for them as the shoes are required to have solid outsole protection.
- Wider boots – Since it requires for a lineman to climb and stand on the poles, rungs, pegs, they need wider shoes than normal ones as it provides maximum support.
Best Tower Climbing Boots – Frequently Asked Questions
How tall is the shaft?
That will depend on each shoe size. Even though they are designed for wider shank support, most shoes also have good toe to heal length.
Will they keep me warm in winters?
Generally, these shoes are insulated and will keep you warm in the winters. We suggest you wear thick wintery socks with them.
Do they need waterproofing treatment after a few uses?
No. They come with a waterproof inner lining. However, you should give it a go, to protect the outer layer from wearing off.
I have a narrow foot. Will it be very wide for me?
They actually provide maximum support with a width larger than normal shoes. We will recommend you to buy a size smaller in case these do not fit well. Or you can try to wear thicker socks too.
How do you clean the boots without tampering waterproof layer?
You can clean the shoes with suede cleaner. Waterproofing lining is mostly inside the boots.
Do these boots come with a warranty?
You must check with the brand you are purchasing. In most of the cases, the warranty is supplemented.
Over to You
In nutshell, every shoe has its qualities and shortcomings. Since the lineman’s job involves risk factors, you might have to be picky in selecting the best tower climbing boots.
Try them on off the work for a few days before wearing them on the job site. Safety is of utmost importance. Stay safe!
If you are looking for the best tower climbing boots, Timberland PRO Men’s 52562 Endurance 6″ PR Work Boot is the best work boot available.
Please read our other guides